This week, the Ha’Am staff followed the latest concerning American Jewry. Take a look at some of our favorites!
1. Mike Dube, also known as the “Santa of tzedakah (charity),” makes it his business to bring smiles to critically ill children via major-league sports.
2. The 2014 Winter Olympics kicked off in Sochi this week. Cheer on fellow American Jews competing for the gold!
3. Do you speak American-Jewish? Sarah Bunin Benor discusses in this video how American Jews are following in the footsteps of those who developed Yiddish, Ladino, Judeo-Persian, Judeo-Arabic and numerous other Judeo-languages.
4. We can’t leave out the famous and recent Pew study on American Jews, of course. Gabriel Roth wrote an article explaining why he celebrates the survey results and the inevitable “dissolution of Jewishness” into American society.
5. In response, Allison Josephs of Jew in the City wrote a rebuttal about how Jews can choose to retain their history and culture.
6. On a lighter note, how about food? Everyone knows about bagels and gefilte fish, but have you ever heard of eyerlech or aranygaluska? Check out these Ashkenazi Jewish foods (some) people are trying to bring back.
And because you can’t describe American Jews without humor, here’s a list of the top 20 American Jewish comedians of all time. Some people included might surprise you with their Jewishness!