With the end of the quarter and finals in sight, the Ha’Am staff took a break from studying to look back at the events that have happened since winter break ended in January. Take a look at some of the most significant events relating to UCLA, Israel and the world that took place within the past few months.
1. In February, Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman was captured by the US and Mexico. Guzman was the head of the Sinoloa drug cartel and had evaded capture for years.
2. Russia deployed troops to the Ukrainian border in an ongoing display of threatening force, relating to today’s referendum vote on whether Crimea should secede from Ukraine, and all eyes have since been on Russian president Vladimir Putin.
3. In better news, at least for those interested in Israel’s economic growth, Israel joined the Pacific Alliance trade bloc as an observer state, gaining access to further economic opportunities with Latin American countries such as Mexico, Peru and Colombia.
5. Israel seized about 150 containers suspected of containing illegal Iranian rockets, bound for Gaza.
6. We are still following coverage of the disappearance of Malaysian Airlines Flight 370. Please keep the 239 missing people in your thoughts and prayers.