This week, the Ha’Am staff took the challenge of learning something surprising about Jews, Judaism or Israel. Check out our favorites among them:
1. The original spy rabbi: the Mossad now has an official rabbi to rule on conflicts of interest between national security and religious concerns raised by Orthodox agents.
2. The Lemba (Mwenye) people of Zimbabwe, South Africa, Malawi and Mozambique claim Jewish ancestry as descendants of a group that left Judea about 2,500 years ago. Could they be long-lost relatives?
3. We hope you knew about this one, but in case your challah skills are lacking, take a look at this easy challah recipe, complete with GIFs!
4. We always knew that Jews control Hollywood, the government and, of course, the media, but we were a bit surprised to learn that we control the Internet, too.
5. Ever wondered what your last name says about your family? Wonder no longer! Take your pick of the meanings behind Ashkenazi (Eastern European), North African or Middle Eastern (Sephardi) or some Persian surnames.
6. Giraffes are kosher. (Enough said.)