So you got into UCLA? Mazel Tov! Getting into UCLA is only the beginning. Now is the fun part: making Jewish Bruin Experiences!
Can you check them all off?
1. Read a Ha’Am Article:
- Just keep reading and this one is in the bag!
2. Ate at Our Kosher Table (OKT) – Meat Restaurant
(They have vegan/vegetarian options too!)
- Located on the 2nd Floor of Hillel @ UCLA (574 Hilgard Ave.)
- 11:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday
3. Had a coffee or snack from Hillel’s Coffee Bean
- If you need coffee or a snack, Hillel’s Coffee Bean team is here to help. Come power up before you head back to campus.
4. Went on a college trip to Israel
- UCLA Birthright with Hillel, JAM Israel Trip, Mayanot Birthright Trip, Onward Israel, Fact Finders
- Few experiences can be more exhilarating than spending time with fellow Jewish Bruins in our indigenous homeland: Israel.
[You had us at Sababa.]
5. Participated in a Jewish Bruin Shabbat Experience
- Chabad, Hillel, JAM, JLIC Shabbin, Shabbaw, Chai on Life, Alumni Shabbat
- Got Shabbat? Here at UCLA we definitely do! There are so many opportunities to participate in a Shabbat experience of your choice each week. Why not try them all?
6. Became a Jewish Learning Fellowship (JLF) participant
- Want to explore Judaism on your own terms and make new friends? This is for you! With several tracks to choose from, participants get to attend weekly sessions ( with free dinner included!) and explore various Jewish topics with their peers. And did we mention there’s a stipend if you attend all the sessions?
7. Participated in Holiday Services @ UCLA
- Whether you come to one or to all the holiday services, the Jewish Bruin community at UCLA has your back when it comes to your holiday needs! We have matzah for passover, K for P food programs, a sukkah for Sukkot equipped with lulav & etrog, dairy for Shavuot, parties for Purim, and so much more!
8. Participated in the JAM MIX/REMIX program
- Want to explore Judaism by hearing from some amazing speakers? JAM provides the place, the dinner and the speaker; all you need to bring is yourself! Did we mention there’s a stipend?
9. Attended a JAM Challah Bake/BBQ Social
- Is it hump day yet? Because if you’re a Jewish Bruin, you know what that means: The Weekly Challah Bake/BBQ Social! Wednesdays 8pm at JAM (533 Landfair Ave.). Food is included.
10. Participated in at least one JLIC Program
- Lunch & Learn
- Jew Q
- Nooshe Joon
- Power Half-Hour
- Ladies Rosh Chodesh Picnic
- Parasha & Pals
11. Participated in Sinai Scholars Society
- Sinai Scholars is a fellowship that offers a generous stipend at the end of the 8 classes. Discover your Judaism while connecting with others and learning about yourself.
- Plus, there’s a fun retreat for Alumni.
12. Attended a Persian Community at Hillel (PCH) event
- Are you Persian or really enjoy spending time with them? Then check out what our Persian Community at Hillel is up to, it’s guaranteed to be a good time and chai is almost always a given.
- Practice your tahktenard (backgammon) skills, it just might come in handy.
13. Attended a Transfer Undergraduate Students of Hillel (TUSH) event
- Are you an undergraduate and a transfer student? We have just the thing for you. Come to TUSH and sign up for a student mentor, participate in fun events and have an amazing time. We love our transfers!
14. Rushed a Jewish fraternity/sorority
- Thought about joining a fraternity/ sorority? We got you covered!
- AEPI: The Jewish fraternity
- Sigma AEPI: The Jewish sorority
15. Auditioned for Jewkbox
- Love to sing? Try out for our Jewish acapella group. Guaranteed to be a tunetastic time!
16. Attended a Wonderful Wednesday @ Hillel
- Yummy food, music and sometimes we even have a magic show!
17. Had a Chavruta
- Learning Jewish topics one on one with another person is always fun. The Kaplans, Gurevichs, and Hanflings are more than happy to meet up with students to learn.
- Or, you could just pick a friend and learn with them!
18. Participated in the Daily Minyan
- Whether we dragged you in, or you came willingly, praying with other Jewish Bruins is always fulfilling.
19. Attended a Party with Jews
- Jewish Bruins know how to balance work and fun! So from time to time we go ahead and dance the night away.
New events are always coming up so don’t be afraid to make new Jewish experiences and meet fellow Jew Bruins. Our paws are wide open.